The purpose of this Brighton and Hove U3A Guide to the South Downs Way is:
- To show how groups of U3A members completed the 100-mile National Trail from Winchester to Eastbourne in a series of weekly day-walks in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2018.
- To share our experience so others who might be encouraged to give it a go
In the Autumn of 2013 nine Brighton and Hove U3A members set off from Winchester with a view to covering the whole 100-mile South Downs Way in a series of 10 weekly day-walks. In fact we managed it in 9 walks (usually between 10 and 13 miles per walk) and completed by the end of October. Click here for details of the 2013 walks
And in 2014, 2015 and 2018 we did it again in the other direction, this time relying mostly on public transport to get to and from weekly walks. And this way round we did it in 8 walks. Click here to follow our 2014 walk .
And in April 2020 we are doing it again.
See details here
- Click here or on How we did it ( in the menu above) to read how we planned our campaign in 2013.
- Or see how we broke up the 100-mile SDW into weekly Walks in 2013;
- How we managed to get cars to the start of each daywalk and home again in 2013;
- How we did it again in 2014, 2015 and 2018 using public transport;
- Where we did (and didn’t) find refreshments to keep us going
- And what walking guides and equipment we found useful
- Enjoy our gallery of the beautiful countryside and the walk diary
- Or watch the videos below and here
If you have any comments or questions, or would like to add your experiences of the SDW to this site, or join us on our next walk, please contact us here.